WHAT IS A SLEUTHHOUND?
“Sleuthhound” is another word for “detective.” Retriever sleuthhounds search for lost dogs online.
WHAT DOES A SLEUTHHOUND DO?
If a dog is stolen or picked up while lost, it may be sold or rehomed—sometimes within hours—through
listings and word-of-mouth in social media. Also, after a stray hold, a dog may be transferred to a
rescue and listed for adoption online. The purpose of the sleuthhound role is to ensure that a thorough
search of social media and online sale/rescue listings begins as soon as we learn about the missing
- Search online for missing dogs
- Track where and when search was conducted
- Collect screen captures and links of potential matches
- Share findings with the team in our private Facebook group
- Work independently with no supervision or management needed
- Ability to volunteer a minimum of 10 hours a week
- An account with and/or access to the following sites:
— Others as needed
- Highly computer/mobile savvy
- Self-starter personality, driven to get results
- Strong knowledge of search techniques using search engines and hashtags
- Highly visual, able to recognize pattern matches between dogs
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Attendance at the team’s annual meeting held in the greater Twin Cities metro area
- Assist on the ground with feeding station maintenance, trap monitoring and ground searches
- Help out at occasional Retrievers public events